J. J. Abrams, is a world renowned writer, producer and director. His bodies of work as a writer include the television series Alias, Felicity, Fringe, Undercovers and the hugely popular Lost. These shows helped solidify him as a well known writer of stories in a weekly format. His film credits are just as well liked, Forever Young, Super 8, Cloverfield, both of the Star Trek re-imagined films and now the eagerly awaited Star Wars Episode VII.
If you do a search online, you will find a million websites speculating the possible plots for the next installment of the Star Wars film. Reporting on rumors, possibilities, and news being purported to be leaked from sources inside the Lucasfilm family.
However what people are forgetting when they speculate on the possibility of the J. J. Abrams screenplay is who has helped write it to begin with, J. J. Abrams himself with Lawrence Kasdan (Co-writer of the most beloved in the original series, The Empire Strikes Back, along with Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Return of the Jedi) Both writers love exploiting certain elements in order to create a driven and entertaining story. Interpersonal drama.
The Interpersonal drama was well seen in The Empire Strikes Back. Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father. Battles himself as Darth Vader on Dagobah, Han Solo is captured and frozen in Carbonite and the Empire seems to be solidifying their defense against the Rebellion. This story line is then finalized in Return of the Jedi, as Luke learns of his sister, faces the realization that he is the last of the Jedi in the universe, and must eventually make a hard decision to stand his ground against his father, and direct opposite, Darth Vader. Vader eventually faces his very own demons and turns against the one who seemed to take him under his wing, and mentor him as no other had before, Darth Sidius ( AKA: Emperor Palpatine)
It seems poetic that these two writers are teaming up for the next three films. They both really love their turmoil between characters in their stories.
So what do I believe we can expect to see in the next films?
We do know that these stories will happen 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi, as announced by Lucasfilm themselves.
I believe there will be a very dark and deep story beginning in the first of the trilogy. Here are points we can expect to see.
- The “Big Three”, Luke, Lea and Han Solo will return. Lea and Han will now be parents, to I believe twins. One Boy one Girl.
- The twins will now be either Jedi, or Jedi in training under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker.
- Luke Skywalker will be either training a new order of the Jedi, or scouring the galaxy looking for new candidates to fill the ranks of the Jedi, there is a possibility of both. Master Luke will be the head of the New Jedi Order.
- Luke Skywalker will also be a father. (This I don’t believe as much, as I believe he will have remained abstinent and single as is the way of the Jedi, no emotional connections to the galaxy)
- There will be a minimum of 2 new protagonists in the new film, a Sith Lord and his apprentice. They will have been responsible for restructuring the Empire, and saving them from the brink of extinction.
- (This is probably the most unloved prediction) One or more of the “Big Three” will be killed in an insurrection plot. Must likely Han Solo, Lea Solo or both.
- One of the Solo children (most likely the male) will go out of their way to exact revenge against those responsible for the death, eventually leading to the dark side, and into the arms of the Sith Lord, who will then shape him into his form.
- The remaining Solo Child, along with a Jedi friend, or two, will travel the galaxy seeking the lost brother/sister in order to save him/her from him/herself.
- Along the way they will make the acquaintance of another, or multiple characters who reluctantly accompany them on their quest.
- The new empire will overthrow the government and reinstate their power in the galaxy.
We can expect to see certain places we love, especially Tatooine, which seems to play a large part in the Star Wars universe. Its secret should be answered within the course of the three films.
This is my belief based on my understanding of the writers. Both of which are ranked among two of the greatest story tellers on any screen of the last century. Their films and television series are rife with trauma.
To understand what will be coming in the next films, we must understand both of the writers, their belief system in the story telling process, and understanding they are planning these films as a three part series. It is not a single film, as A New Hope was originally intended.
With the understanding of these, we should be able to better predict the films before they come out.
If you have thoughts or ideas, I would love hearing them.
Please comment, or message me on twitter, @lancegoolsby
I wanted to let all of my readers know what is happening in my life right now, and a couple projects I have on the horizon that you may all be interested in.
First, I have now been working for a large factory here in Schweinfurt for a proud 6 weeks now. The company if ZF Sachs, I am loving the job, it is both physical and stimulating at the same time. I could not be happier to be working there.
So here is what is coming around the corner for all of you.
1) My novel, The Face In The Falls, is back on track. I am re-proofing my manuscript as it stands, and re-organizing my notes and plans for the rest of the book, and am organizing the story and character plots and dialogue for the rest of the novel.
For those who don’t know what The Face In The Falls is, it is the story of Issiquah Homicide detective, Jackson Anderson, King County Medico-Legal Pathologist, Mary Langstrom, and their investigation into the discovery of 7 bodies at the top of the Snoqualmie Falls in Washington State. It is a roller coaster ride of an investigation that will take both of them in a direction that no one had imagined.
2) Probably my most ambitious project to date, is my upcoming podcast, which has yet to be named, It will be hosted by me, and co-hosted by my Brother-in-law Kyle. We will be discussing subjects that are important to us, including Star Wars, toys, comic books and anything else we want to talk about.
It should be totally fun and entertaining, as both of us are ex-military, and some times rather dirty-mouthed. We are both also very dedicated to Star Wars, and are extremely excited for the new films and the announced director of the films.
I am also asking you, the reader, what you think I should name the Podcast. When it is available it will be downloadable on iTunes, but first I need a name that I can place them under.
This I leave to you…
Below please submit your ideas in the comments block.
I thank you all
Here are some of my recent, and I believe better posts I have made, but have not been linked to my home page…
Here is an article about why I believe I have become a Nerd again… Two Words, Tron Legacy
Here is an article close to me. It is about how Bartenders are the cheapest form of psychologist on the planet. and a couple stories I have personally experienced.
and finally, here is some research I have dug up about 2 new Tron projects. The first is some information about the rumored Tron 3, which according to a video I found has been greenlit, and also a new Tron television series being released in 2012
As always my friends.
First of all, I want people to know I am not such a cynical person, I am light hearted by nature. I do enjoy some of the finer things in life, Mostly music, Movies, Video Games, Reading, Archaeology, Paranormal Investigations, and so much more.
With that said, I thought I would post a bit of movie news that is exciting to me, and that I am anxious to see myself.
So the introduction to Lances first ever…
I am a huge, and I mean HUGE science fiction fan. Star Wars, and Star Trek lead along with some other films as being among my favourite films of all times (With the exception of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace… Really George?) Among the films that have always been in my favourites are the following:
- Star Wars Saga
- Star Trek
- The Last Star Fighter
- The Chronicles Of Riddick
- Space Balls
- The Black Hole
- The Crow
It takes place between episodes three and four, when Luke Skywalker was growing up as a teenager, but it has nothing to do with Luke. Basically, it is like ‘The Godfather’; it’s the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it’s [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution.
Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick(Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddickunleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.
It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Ellen Ripley. It’s fundamentally about going out to find ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle. This is an explanation of who the space jockeys were. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming, taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.
The Black Hole
Joseph Kosinski and Sean Bailey, the director and producer of Disney’s upcoming Tron Legacy, and screenwriter Travis Beacham are teaming up for a reinvention of the 1979 sci-fi film The Black Hole.In the original, the explorer craft U.S.S. Palomino is returning to Earth after a fruitless 18-month search for extra-terrestrial life when the crew comes upon a supposedly lost ship, the magnificent U.S.S. Cygnus, hovering near a black hole. The ship is controlled by Dr. Hans Reinhardt and his monstrous robot companion, Maximillian. But the initial wonderment and awe the Palomino crew feel for the ship and its resistance to the power of the black hole turn to horror as they uncover Reinhardt’s plans, which involve turning his former crew into robots and flying through the hole. As they try to escape, a meteorite shower damages the ship, and the survivors hang on as they are plunged into the most powerful force in the universe, heading toward the blinding light that holds whatever eternity awaits them.
The details of the update are being kept secret, though the take does involve grounding the story in the science of a black hole, much more so than in the original. The 1979 film was a loose retelling of Disney’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!