A dissection the possible Star Wars Episode VII Story
J. J. Abrams, is a world renowned writer, producer and director. His bodies of work as a writer include the television series Alias, Felicity, Fringe, Undercovers and the hugely popular Lost. These shows helped solidify him as a well known writer of stories in a weekly format. His film credits are just as well liked, Forever Young, Super 8, Cloverfield, both of the Star Trek re-imagined films and now the eagerly awaited Star Wars Episode VII.
If you do a search online, you will find a million websites speculating the possible plots for the next installment of the Star Wars film. Reporting on rumors, possibilities, and news being purported to be leaked from sources inside the Lucasfilm family.
However what people are forgetting when they speculate on the possibility of the J. J. Abrams screenplay is who has helped write it to begin with, J. J. Abrams himself with Lawrence Kasdan (Co-writer of the most beloved in the original series, The Empire Strikes Back, along with Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Return of the Jedi) Both writers love exploiting certain elements in order to create a driven and entertaining story. Interpersonal drama.
The Interpersonal drama was well seen in The Empire Strikes Back. Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father. Battles himself as Darth Vader on Dagobah, Han Solo is captured and frozen in Carbonite and the Empire seems to be solidifying their defense against the Rebellion. This story line is then finalized in Return of the Jedi, as Luke learns of his sister, faces the realization that he is the last of the Jedi in the universe, and must eventually make a hard decision to stand his ground against his father, and direct opposite, Darth Vader. Vader eventually faces his very own demons and turns against the one who seemed to take him under his wing, and mentor him as no other had before, Darth Sidius ( AKA: Emperor Palpatine)
It seems poetic that these two writers are teaming up for the next three films. They both really love their turmoil between characters in their stories.
So what do I believe we can expect to see in the next films?
We do know that these stories will happen 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi, as announced by Lucasfilm themselves.
I believe there will be a very dark and deep story beginning in the first of the trilogy. Here are points we can expect to see.
- The “Big Three”, Luke, Lea and Han Solo will return. Lea and Han will now be parents, to I believe twins. One Boy one Girl.
- The twins will now be either Jedi, or Jedi in training under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker.
- Luke Skywalker will be either training a new order of the Jedi, or scouring the galaxy looking for new candidates to fill the ranks of the Jedi, there is a possibility of both. Master Luke will be the head of the New Jedi Order.
- Luke Skywalker will also be a father. (This I don’t believe as much, as I believe he will have remained abstinent and single as is the way of the Jedi, no emotional connections to the galaxy)
- There will be a minimum of 2 new protagonists in the new film, a Sith Lord and his apprentice. They will have been responsible for restructuring the Empire, and saving them from the brink of extinction.
- (This is probably the most unloved prediction) One or more of the “Big Three” will be killed in an insurrection plot. Must likely Han Solo, Lea Solo or both.
- One of the Solo children (most likely the male) will go out of their way to exact revenge against those responsible for the death, eventually leading to the dark side, and into the arms of the Sith Lord, who will then shape him into his form.
- The remaining Solo Child, along with a Jedi friend, or two, will travel the galaxy seeking the lost brother/sister in order to save him/her from him/herself.
- Along the way they will make the acquaintance of another, or multiple characters who reluctantly accompany them on their quest.
- The new empire will overthrow the government and reinstate their power in the galaxy.
We can expect to see certain places we love, especially Tatooine, which seems to play a large part in the Star Wars universe. Its secret should be answered within the course of the three films.
This is my belief based on my understanding of the writers. Both of which are ranked among two of the greatest story tellers on any screen of the last century. Their films and television series are rife with trauma.
To understand what will be coming in the next films, we must understand both of the writers, their belief system in the story telling process, and understanding they are planning these films as a three part series. It is not a single film, as A New Hope was originally intended.
With the understanding of these, we should be able to better predict the films before they come out.
If you have thoughts or ideas, I would love hearing them.
Please comment, or message me on twitter, @lancegoolsby
Posted on April 22, 2014, in Lances Thoughts and tagged Alias, Episode 7, Episode VII, Film, j. j. abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Lost, news, Predictions, Report, rumors, science fiction, star wars, Twitter. Bookmark the permalink. 8 Comments.